Why it is So Important to Be Connected With Social Media: Some Recent Social Media Statistics
- In Dennis Prince’s recent book Get Rich With Twitter, he quotes: “In order to reach 50 million users it would take:
38 years by radio
13 years by television
4 years by Internet
3 years by Ipod
He also states the following about positive impact based on the type of media:
14% of consumers say they trust company-produced advertisements.
18% of traditional TV ad campaigns generate positive returns on investment
25% of search results online for the world’s top-twenty largest brands are links to user-generated (socially accessible) content.
34% of bloggers post opinions about products and brands
78% of consumers trust peer recommendations”
- According to latest Nielsen research Americans spend nearly a quarter of their time online on social networks and blogs, up from 15.8% a year ago (43% increase).
- Mashable reported: One-third of women aged 18-34 check Facebook when they first wake up, even before they get to the bathroom. 21% of women age 18-34 check Facebook in the middle of the night.
- Information Week reported: Two-thirds of Americans now use Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, and other social media sites, up about 230% from the 20% penetration in 2007, and 43% are visiting these sites more than once a day.
- Social Networking Watch reported: According to a recent comScore Video Metrix service, 178M U.S. Internet users watched online video during the month, and topped 30.3 billion videos in April, with Google Sites ranking as the top video property with 13.1 billion videos, representing 43.2% of all videos viewed online. YouTube accounted for the vast majority of videos viewed at the property.
- Read Write Web Reported: Apple, the most high-profile purveyor of mobile apps, has said it has seen 4 billion apps downloaded from its store, for a total of about $1.5 billion.