Top 10 Ways to Find a Job or Have a Job Find You
With the current job market, people are looking for unusual ways to stand out in the crowd. I recently gave a presentation at a local university where I explained the job searching tips I discuss in this article. To see that actual live presentation, click here.
If you are not utilizing some of the following ways to showcase your talents to prospective employers, you may be missing the boat. Here is my top 10 list of things you need to be doing if you are looking for a job.
1. Research Top Career Sites like Monster, CareerBuilder, etc. Look for sites specific to the industry in which you want to work. For example, there are pharmaceutical-specific sites like Medzilla or higher educational-specific sites like HigheredJobs. Update your information with each of these sites and set up searches so that jobs are sent to you as they become available.
2. Utilize Camtasia and PowerPoint to showcase your abilities. If you know how to create a PowerPoint presentation, then it can be quite simple to use a software package like Camtasia to have voice-over capabilities to make your presentation have more depth. These presentations can be showcased on many different sites including your blog or website if you have one. One of the best places to showcase your talents with the final presentation product is through Youtube. For an example of one I’ve made, click here.
3. Utilize Youtube to present “you” as a viable product. If you have created a video or a Camtasia/PowerPoint presentation mentioned previously, Youtube is the place to upload it for maximum exposure. If you have a skill that is visual such as ability to work in Photoshop, you can create print screens of your work and incorporate them into your presentations.
5. Prezi is also similar to PowerPoint in that it is presentation software. The big difference is how it displays your information. This web-based program can show things in a non-linear fashion. If you haven’t had a chance to view a Prezi presentation, check one out by clicking here.
6. Blogging is a great way to get your presence known on the Internet. Sites like WordPress are free and easy to set up. You can link your blog to several other networking sites to capture the attention of those on Facebook, Twitter and many more sites.
7. LinkedIn is probably one of the best sites you can use to get exposure to people and showcase your talents. Utilize their Q&A area to become an expert. Sign up for groups to meet others that could hook you up with opportunities. Import your Google Docs, WordPress blogs and other information to showcase your abilities. Tie your status line into Twitter to get more exposure.
8. Facebook is also an important place to network. You can create a professional page for your work or display your products that you are promoting.
9. Twitter can also be a useful way to have others learn about what you are doing professionally. Be sure you tie in your other sites links to Twitter. Use programs like bit.ly to shorter any web addresses to fit your message on Twitter.
10. Old Fashioned Networking is still important. Always have your business card with you. Talk to everyone you know and talk to people you don’t know. If you are sitting by someone on an airplane or standing in line to buy something, you just might find that the person you meet has connections. Have your business card ready!
For more articles to help you, see:
- How to Use Google Docs and LinkedIn to get a Job
- What is Prezi and How Does it Compare to PowerPoint
- How to Get a Job Marketing You as the Product
- How Your Job Satisfaction May Be Based on Your Personality Type
- 5 Ways to get a Job Through YouTube
- Using Video on YouTube to Promote Yourself
- 6 Steps to Using Linkedin to Get That Job
- Get a Job and Get Noticed By Taking Full Advantage of LinkedIn’s Capabilities
- How to Reinvent Your Career Interview
- Time for a New Career? Change the Daily Grind to a Job of Your Dreams